Adding Strength, Not Complexity
SikaReinforcer® is a heat-reactive and foamable material that is used in combination with our SikaStructure® carrier to reinforce vehicle body structures. After curing in the E-coat oven, SikaReinforcer® foam creates a strong connection between the SikaStructure® carrier and the car body’s metal sheets. In this way, SikaReinforcer® can be used to improve NVH (noise vibration harshness) behavior, local stiffness and crash performance, while also contributing to overall weight reduction (when compared to the equivalent steel design).
SikaReinforcer® is delivered as a part used for stiffness or crash improvement of car
body structures. The structural inserts can be robotically or manually inserted into vehicle cavities.
MAIN MATERIAL PROPERTIES
Sika provides a range of epoxy-based formulations, allowing engineers to meet the specific requirements of each OEM:
- Expansion from 80 % to 250 %
- Extended curing window from 140 °C to 220 °C
- Young's modulus in compression from 380 to 1100 MPa
- Low density material – due to its expansion properties
- Expanding foam helps compensate for, and reduce, gaps in the structural assembly
- Creates a durable and strong connection between the carrier and metal sheet in closed cavities
- Very good adhesion to oily and E-coated steel, aluminum or plastic components
Repair Solution: SikaReinforcer®-900 R
A Fast Curing Adhesive for Structural Applications
SikaReinforcer®-900 R is a two-component, high strength epoxy-based structural adhesive that is applied either to the reinforcement replacement part or directly into the vehicle cavity (which is recommended with small cavities). Fast and efficient, this process ensures that optimum load transfer is enabled and the structural integrity of the vehicle body is enhanced. The adhesive cures at ambient temperature and is completely cured after 48 hours, even when applied on large bonding surfaces like the B-pillar. SikaReinforcer®-900 R adheres to aluminum, phosphate and electroplated metal surfaces, PA6 and PA66.
In repair or replacement of a reinforcement part, thermo-expandable SikaReinforcer® foam is replaced by SikaReinforcer®-900 R adhesive. The adhesive is applied directly on the SikaStructure® parts (e.g. A-Pillar, B-Pillar, roof rails) and the parts joined directly to the car body.
MAIN MATERIAL PROPERTIES
- High mechanical strength – enhances the structural integrity of the body
- Cures at ambient temperatures – cures completely in 48 hours
- Adheres to a variety of materials and substrates – aluminum, phosphate and electroplated metal surfaces, PA6 and PA66
- Flexibility – can be applied on SikaStructure® inserts or directly into small cavities
- Meets all OEM requirements - environmental, adhesion, corrosion
- Easy application - dispensed in a u-TAH “2 in 1” cartridge system for fast, easy application