High-Strength Bonding for Structural Applications
HSB (High Strength Bonding) is a new technology which combines the use of complex injection-molded carriers (SikaStructure®) and a structural adhesive (SikaPower®) to bond it into targeted sections of car bodies. This new generation of structural adhesive products offers exceptional adhesion properties across a wide range of substrates and opens up a new range of structural design possibilities.
SikaPower® is delivered as a bulk material and is applied in combination with SikaStructure carriers. SikaPower® adhesive beads are applied to the surface of the SikaStructure® carrier ensuring a strong bond between the part and the sheet metal. The structural inserts can be robotically or manually inserted into the vehicle cavity.
MAIN MATERIAL PROPERTIES
Sika provides a range of different type of SikaPower® materials for high strength bonding applications:
- Tensile strength up to 30 MPa
- Adapted viscosities (cold or warm applied)
- Very good adhesion properties on Sikastructure carriers, as well as metal materials
- High specific washout resistanceBonding on various substrates and oils
- Superior mechanical properties
- Easy application and workability
- Long shelf life
- High performing structural adhesive bonding
- Very high-performing in crash tests (low and smooth intrusion)
- Greater design freedom - can be created for any 3-dimensional shape
- Expanding foam helps compensate for, and reduce, gaps in the structural assembly
- Multimaterial design
- Weight saving
- Cost savings
- Corrosion prevention
- Reduction of maintenace
Repair Solution - SikaPower®
Two Component Adhesives with High Crash-Performance
SikaPower®-477 R is a two component (2C) structural adhesive based on epoxy/amine technology. It features a new generation of toughener that reduces crack sensitivity and improves crash performance. This allows for a high-quality structural, as well as crash-resistant, repair of steel and aluminum body parts.
SikaPower®-477 R provides excellent adhesion with a wide range of substrates like steel, aluminum and carbon-fiber-reinforced-plastic. High mechanical properties also help ensure the car can be restored to its original condition without any compromise of structural integrity.
SikaPower®-477 R cures at room temperature, however, the curing time can be accelerated by heating the product after application, which improves mechanical performance. A long open time (approx. 60 minutes) also allows for additional processing operations such as welding or riveting. Contact on both substrates provides good corrosion protection.
SikaPower®-477 R offers easy application with a standard 1C application gun at room
temperature. The bonding surface is prepared with a three-step “cleaning – grinding – cleaning” process. SikaPower®-477 R is applied on both sides of the bonding area, and can be cured either at room temperature or using infrared, blanket or other heating processes.
MAIN MATERIAL PROPERTIES:
- Excellent crash-resistance performance
- High Young’s Modulus
- Wide adhesion range – to steel, aluminum and carbon-fiber-reinforced plastics
- High glass transition temperature
- Increased stiffness
- Improved longevity (corrosion, fatigue)
- u-TAH cartridge “2 in 1”