Versatile Water-Based Aktivators
In the past, automotive pre-treatments, like cleaners, aktivators and primers, were solvent-based. As the demand for more eco-friendly solutions grew, VOC-reduction became an important target for vehicle manufacturers.
The first significant reduction in VOC was achieved in 1985 with the elimination of a 2-step pre-treatment process to paint coatings and ceramic frits. In 2006, Sika introduced Sika HydroPrep®-100, its first water-based activator for glass bonding, which almost completely eliminated the need for VOCs. Since that time, Sika® HydroPrep® has evolved from a 2-component system to a 1-component system, which has simplified processing for our customers without impacting performance.
Currently, our product development team is focused on the development of additional water-based pre-treatments. A number of our advanced cleaners and activators for paint are already in use in automotive assembly lines around the world, and a water based, MDI-free black primer to glass product is currently in the advanced development stages.
MAIN MATERIAL PROPERTIES
- Water-based activator – VOC-free
- Excellent adhesion performance
- Excellent resistance to a wide range of aging conditions.
- Direct glazing
- Pre-treatment of ceramic frits and glass float surfaces
- Significant reduction of direct glazing pre-treatment VOC footprint
- Suitable for manual and automated application
- Significant reduction of product consumption
- Simplification of process and storage conditions – no exhaust systems required