An Impressive Body of Sealing Options
SikaBaffle® are 3D, heat-reactive thermoplastic (molded or extruded) or elastomeric (extruded) parts designed to seal a body cavity. SikaBaffle® products have been developed with a variety of volumetric expansion properties to ensure even complex body cavities can be sealed to meet OEM design parameters. By altering the design and thickness of the parts, acoustic properties can be tailored to meet even the most demanding requirements.
Once cured, SikaBaffle® products offer excellent adhesion to oily and e-coated body panels, including all of the main substrates used in the automotive industry – cold rolled, galvanized (hot dipped and electroplated) and galvanneal steel, as well as automotive grades of aluminum. They also maintain their adhesion properties through a range of aging and weathering test conditions.
ROBOTIC OR MANUAL APPLICATION
SikaBaffle® parts can be robotically or manually inserted into vehicle cavities. Mechanical fasteners are pre-designed to maintain proper positioning throughout the assembly process, without deflection or movement.
Sika also provides repair or CKD solutions.
Injected molded parts are based on a lightweight carrier and a high-expansion thermoplastic material that can be designed into a 3D shape for virtually any cavity geometry. They include a positive locator (example: push pin) for easy assembly.
Extruded parts are based on a lightweight co-extrusion of an expandable sealant with a self-adhesive layer. The adhesive layer can be replaced with an integrated mechanical attachment, when required, to provide positive location.
- Extended bake conditions (from low bake or 284°F (140°C) to high temperature resistance or 410 °F (210 °C)
- Flexible expansion rates from 300 - 2000 %
- Superior acoustic performance (transmission loss and absorption)
- Optimal application solutions through flexible attachment design
- Optimized material usage with high-expansion behavior
- Excellent sound insulation and sealing properties
Repair Solution - SikaBaffle® Foam
A Fast, Reliable Solution for Automotive Body Cavity Sealing
In repair or CKD assembly facilities, pre-formed acoustic parts can't be fitted into the vehicle cavity because the production equipment needed to properly heat the materials isn’t available. SikaBaffle® is a ready-to-use, 2-component polyurethane foam, which cures very quickly at ambient temperature and reliably seals hollow cavities against noise, air, water and dust in vehicles.
SikaBaffle® can be used for manual application in vehicle production as well as for repair and service solutions. Application is easy and safe because the two components are combined within the aerosol dispensing unit (which has been specially designed to prevent excessive pressure build up).
- Filling and insulating
- Noise absorption
- Sealing of holes, like A-, B- and C-pillars, roof, engine rails
- Excellent noise and vibration absorption
- Up to 2000% expansion rate
- Cures in 30 minutes, fully cured foam does not shrink or expand
- Good adhesion to a wide variety of substrates
- Prolonged open time, allows for temporary interruption of the application for up to 5 minutes